By the beginning of the 20th century Siófok became one of Lake Balaton’s most preferred holiday resorts. The development required the construction of modern water and sewerage system.
The installation works of plumbing system started in spring 1912, and the process was regularly reported by the press.
The 45 m high reinforced concrete structure Water Tower built parallel with the plumbing was designed by the architects Árpád Guth and Jenő Gergely.
The Water Tower was damaged during the Second World War and was restored by spring 1945.
In 1973, the Water Tower was taken out of the water supply system due to the modernisation of the water system.
In 1992, the local government took ownership of the Water Tower and the first rural tourist information office opened in the same year.
The Tower’s complete renovation started in 2012. Tourinform’s renewed office ceremonial handover was in the same year. A panorama-café bar and an interactive showroom got placed at the former water tank.
The renewed Water Tower welcomes its guests in the centre of Siófok.
Reference: Siófok’s Settlement History (compiled by Ferenc Kenedy), Siófok, 1993.
Address : 8600 Siófok, Fő tér 11.